Camping and Casseroles

We just got back from a great long weekend camping.  The weather was cool but we had a good time just sitting around the fire all day long and chatting.

Yesterday evening though, our neighbour let us know that their youngest son, who is just three and half years old (just a few months older than Kaed) was diagnosed with leukemia 2 weeks ago.  This literally came out of nowhere so I think they are still in shock.  We don’t really know them all that well but obviously I want to do something to let them know we are thinking about them and praying for them so the first think I thought of was to bring them some meals.  The only thing is I want to bring them something different than the usual lasagna as I want to make sure they don’t get the same meal from different people wanting to help them out.  Here’s where you come in… do you have a good casserole/freezer meal recipe?  I’d love to have it!  How about a great dessert recipe?  I’d sure love to give these guys a great full meal so whatever recipes you have to share would be great!

7 thoughts on “Camping and Casseroles

1. Andrea

That is so terrible…I find it so hard to know how to react to that sort of news. I have a great recipe for Shepard’s pie, and with that an apple pie, and you’ll have a wonderfully, soothing meal. Let me know if you’re interested.

2. Down on the Snyders' Farm

Hi Hilda…a really quick easy recipe is a double crust meat pie.
    You can use chicken, beef or I’ve even used ground beef.
    Just cook your meat, and in same pan add some mixed veggies and add enough gravy (homemade or packaged) to fill the pie crust, then pour all into crust and cover with second pie crust.
    Bake at 425F for approx. 15 minutes.
    But, when giving it to someone, don’t bake it, cover in tin foil and just freeze and they can bake it at 350F for 45 minutes, and then 425F for 15 minutes (to get a nice crust).
    A meal is always a nice way to help someone when you don’t know what else you can do.
    Brenda :)
    P.S. let me know if anything doesn’t make sense in the recipe.

3. Miriam

I have a recipe that I actually got from Rebekah that we’ve both made to have in the freezer before babies were born. It’s ham, potatoes and broccoli with a creamy sauce and cheese on top. I can e-mail it if you’re interested. Also, you already have my pumpkin pie cake recipe. :)

4. Shelly

That’s so sad. I hope he’ll be okay.

I love hamburger noodle casserole, or John’s hashbrown casserole is amazing. I can email them to you if you want.

5. Suzanne

That’s so sad :(
    There is actually a really delicious casserole recipe in the more with less cookbook and its easy to make!
    Of course now I don’t remember what page its on… I’ll look it up for you and show you when I come over on Friday or something if you still want more.

6. JoElla

Meals are always good! I know what you mean about the usual casseroles. One of Chris and my favorites is Saskatoon Berry Chicken, super simple, and lots of good flavor. Best of all it freezes well, and cooks up quickly. Here it is:

Saskatoon Berry Chicken
    9-12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
    1 cup Saskatoon jam
    2 tbsp Dijon mustard
    2 tbsp fresh mint (I usually use dried, tastes the same)
    2 tbsp horse radish
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 tsp tabasco sauce
    Mix everything together in freezer bag, and freeze.

To make:
    Thaw over night in fridge
    Heat a large friying pan to medium-high heat. Once hot add chicken.
    Turn thighs often to recoat in sauce
    Cook for 14-16 minutes or until done (I find it usually takes a little longer)

Serve with broccoli and rice.

Makes good left overs as well. Hope this helps your serch for an alternative. Let me know what you think. I know your neighbors will appreciate anything you bring!