Making Your Own Labels

When I first starting making stuff for my Etsy shop I quickly realized that I needed some kind of label.  I looked around at different etsy shops and label shops for a company to make them for me but I then I realized I could probably make them myself fairly easily!  So I did!  I’ve been making my own labels since then and I find a really cheap and easy option.
I thought I’d share with you how I make them so you can make your own too!
The first thing you need though is a stamp.  I got mine made online at Staples and I’m pretty happy with what I got.  I think it cost me about $20 including shipping.  That’s the biggest expense when making your own labels.
here’s the stamp I ordered after about a years worth of use :)
What you’ll all need:
-customized stamp
-fabric paint in the color of your choice.  I’ve always found black looks and works best.
-plain, matte ribbon OR a long strip of hemmed fabric (I’ve only ever used ribbon, but I figure hemmed fabric should work just as well)
-a piece of flat plastic like a yogurt container lid
-felt
Step One:
-Get out your yogurt lid and squirt a decent amount of fabric paint onto it.
-Take your felt and cut a square big enough for your stamp.  Place the felt on top of the fabric paint and pat it down until it just starts to soak up.
-Using your stamp, “stamp” the felt until the paint is fully soaked in.  This will be your stamp pad!
Step 2:
-Unroll your whole piece of ribbon and lay it on a flat surface.
-Dab your stamp onto the felt just like a stamp pad and then test it on a piece of paper first.
 It’s hard to get the amount of paint to felt ratio just right so make sure you check the stamp before you stamp the ribbon each time.  Once you’re comfortable with how it stamps start stamping your ribbon!
-Make sure you leave a decent amount of space between each stamp so that you have space to turn the raw cut edges under when you sew your labels on.
-Keep going until you have all your ribbon stamped!
Step 3:
-Read the label on your container of fabric paint and follow the finishing directions on it.  Some need to be heat treated and some just need about 72 hours to dry.
-I usually don’t cut the labels apart until I’m ready to use them.  Then I just cut one off when I need it.  It really saves you on losing ribbon space due to fraying.
Step 4:
-When you are ready to sew your labels on, simply iron each raw edge under and sew all the way around!

here’s a finished bag with a label.  I’ve used both a straight stitch and a zigzag to attach them and they both look pretty good.
So that’s about it.  I hope this inspires you to go ahead and make your own!  They don’t always turn out perfectly but that’s the beauty of handmade.
*** UPDATE***  I’ve now found out that you can buy the same type of ribbon (cotton twill tape) by the yard at stores like Fabricland!  So much cheaper and now I can buy and make so many more labels at once!
I’ve also found a place where you can order fabric ink pads, right here. Although you don’t get as deep of an imprint, it does work pretty good and it’s a lot faster than the paint/felt method.

36 thoughts on “Making Your Own Labels

1. sandandstarfish

Oh my gosh… thank you times a million for this :) I’ve been looking everywhere for this and have only found the printable label tutorials. Not my style at all!
    Thank you!!

2. Sarah

That is great, thanks! I am trying to start up an etsy site of my own and wondered if there was a way to make my own labels inexpensively.

3. Anonymous

I am SO excited about this. I’ve wanted to order label for years now and haven’t done it. I have a rubber stamp that is perfect for this. Would you mind sharing what brand of ribbon you have found works best? Also, how is the upkeep after laundering the items? Thanks

4. malia

thanks– you read my mind. i don’t have a big biz (and it’s not cost effective) for me to buy labels at this point. so i really appreciate your tutorial!

5. Hilda

Thanks everyone for the great comments! The brand of ribbon I use is called Bobbin Ribbon. It’s technically a scrapbooking and card making ribbon and I buy it at Michaels. Here’s a link to the brand… I just look through till I find some without pattern or words on it. http://www.morexcorp.com/products/bobbinribbon.asp
    I’ve washed items with my labels on them several times and never had any kind of wear or anything on them.
    Hope that helps!

6. cakegirl

Thank you so much for sharing such an easy way to make labels! I am off to order my stamp and buy my fabric paint first thing in the morning.

7. Q

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I’ve been looking for this for weeks, wanting labels before I put together my next style of purse on my blog store. I’m ordering my stamp TODAY! :)

8. Anonymous

If only I could be half as handy and creative as you …. I aspire to be great things … and I see your work and think … I can, I can, I can … right??

9. Creative Colloquy

yesss. thank you SO much. i like the other commenters have mentioned- have been pondering how to do this on my own. i love it! i’ve come so close in the past to ordering labels from someone but always held back because i, like you, assumed i could make them on my own. yipeeee.

10. Sarah

I tried this tonight. I already had a rubber stamp, but it was the type with the ink pad in it so we took it apart. The only matte ribbon I could find at Joann’s was grosgrain. I’m not sure if the font was too small, or the grain of the ribbon but I could not get it to stamp clearly. I just read your comments and will try to find that ribbon you suggested. If not I guess I’ll have to order another stamp. Can you tell me approx how big yours is?

11. PamE

Love this idea… I don’t have a need for fabric labels, but it seems like it could be used to make stickers, and other types of labels.

12. Katherine

I love the rough look of the stamped labels. I’ve made stamp pads for my daughter with liquid watercolors, but I never thought about doing it with fabric paint before, thanks for the idea, we could use that with a lot of our stamps!

13. Pearl

This is a great idea. I was trying to decide on the most cost effective way of making my own labels for craft items that I make sometimes. Your suggestion was excellent.

Thanks for sharing.

14. Anonymous

Such a great and cost-effective idea! I have some stamp pads that can be stamped permanently on fabric, so I think I’ll give those a go – should work nicely and all I’ll need is to get the rubber stamp. Thank you!

15. Sandy

I want to try this. If you use the stamp pad mentioned in the update, do you still use the fabric ink as mentioned in the regular process?

16. Rita Seaton

Thanks for the tutorial. I wonder if you can skip the step of turning edges in and sewing by doing this? If anyone tries it, let me know. I’ve used this technique to seal ribbons so they don’t frey. Light a candle. Cut the ribbon with the label. Pass a cut edge of the ribbon close and swiftly by the fire. Repeat on other cut side as needed. The fire should melt the ribbon edges. Don’t put the ribbon in the fire or hold it near the fire.

17. amandeep Kaur

wow, that’s awsome…. thank you so much for this lovely idea…coz i was wondering if i could make my labels at home without using printer… Love it.. :)